Monday, February 13, 2012

Mini-Review: We're Alive, The Zombie Story of Survival {Podcast}


I've been listening to this podcast for the past year and a half or so, and absolutely love it. Also, since I listed "podcasts" as one of my interests, I guess it would do me good to review one of my all-time favorites. Note: I am reviewing this for the "hell" of it...no one is paying me and my opinions are completely 100% my own!

The name should explain it all, but in case you don't know, "We're Alive" is Wayland Productions' free podcast about a group of people surviving the zombie apocalypse in the Los Angeles area of California. It begins with a journal entry of one of the main characters, Michael, and it continues in the same fashion for each episode: Each usually begins with one of the characters narrating and then it flows into a full-cast audio drama complete with sound effects. Think a prime-time television show being performed in a sound studio instead of on TV.

KC Wayland and Shane Salk are the co-creators of the show: KC is the main writer and director (Shane Salk plays Angel, one of the main characters on the show). The story itself is very emotionally charged and action-packed--and extremely well-written. This isn't a copy of "The Walking Dead" or a George A. Romero film, this is original and awesomely unique.  The characters are excellent...each have a depth and a mysterious side that is either revealed right away, or you're left pondering just exactly what they are trying to hide. Many of them hint at having secrets that occasionally get revealed throughout the course of the show (but many of them are dangled in front of your face and left there to tempt you!) Each character is so distinct that there is no chance of asking yourself "Who's this again?" There are a few different plotlines that are very easily followed and usually end up connecting to another plotline in the story. There are chapters that will leave you in tears or make you crack up with laughter, and plenty that have you on the edge of your seat in suspense. The sound quality and effects are both excellent; the music is also very well written and executed. {For full cast/crew details, Click Here!}

Currently, Seasons One and Two are complete, Season Three is just beginning. It's free on Itunes and Zune, you can also go directly to the website to listen and download. If you love it as much as I do, you can also purchase both Season 1 and 2 on Amazon.com (I'm going to buy mine with proceeds from my income tax return!). One caveat: there is explicit language and some adult situations (nothing X-rated, I assure you), so listen responsibly!

I can't really say too much else...since then I would be getting into spoilers, so on this note, I hope many of you drop on by to give it a listen! I highly recommend it!


Amber's Grade!


2 comments: